Last updated: October 27, 2015
The following information includes the “Terms and Conditions” under which individuals seeking employment and career information (“Candidates”), and employers (“Employers”) and recruitment companies (“Recruiters”) seeking employees may use the Site. Users of the Site are hereinafter collectively referred to as “Users” and individually as the “User”.
For greater clarification, the “Site” refers to: careers.bccpa.ca
Who is CPABC?
In BC, legislation to unify the legacy professional accounting bodies—the Institute of Chartered Accountants of BC (ICABC), the Certified General Accountant Association of BC (CGA-BC), and the Certified Management Accountants Society of BC (CMABC)— went into force on June 24, 2015.
Each provincial CPA will be a member organization of the Chartered Professional Accountants of Canada (CPA Canada), which will soon represent more than 190,000 professional accountants across the country.
CPABC is responsible for the training and certification of CPA students. CPABC is also responsible for the regulating and professional development of its members, and the protection of the public through its ethical standards and discipline processes.
By using the Site the User agrees to the Terms and Conditions stated here. CPABC is entitled to amend the Terms and Conditions at any time, without informing Users, by updating this page. It is the User’s responsibility to revisit this page periodically to ensure the receipt of updated information and Users are deemed to be aware of all amendments. Users who do not agree with amendments to the Terms and Conditions shall immediately stop using the Site.
This Agreement constitutes the User’s agreement with CPABC with respect to the use of the service.
Subject to these Terms and Conditions, CPABC gives the User the non-exclusive, non-transferable, limited right to access, use and view the Site’s Content for the User’s own personal, noncommercial use.
For greater clarification, “Content” refers to all information, content, reports, data, databases, graphics, interfaces, web pages, text, files, software, product names, company names, trade-marks, logos and trade names contained on the Site, including the manner in which the Content is presented or appears.
Unauthorized use of the Content may violate copyright, trademark and other laws. This includes:
- removing any copyright or other proprietary notices contained in the Content;
- selling, modifying, reproducing, publicly displaying or distributing Content for commercial use;
- using the Content on any other website with the exception of blogging and microblogging sites including, but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Digg, Wordpress, Blogger and other social media based sites where source information is credited;
- transferring the Content to any person without the written permission of CPABC;
- printing or copying the HTML code that is used to generate CPABC’s pages;
- interfering with the security of the Site or any services, system resources, accounts, servers or networks accessible through the Site or affiliated Content or sites;
- disrupting another User’s use of the Site;
- transmitting any Materials that would negatively effect the use of the Site, including destructive files or programs that impose a large amount of Content on CPABC’s website infrastructure, this includes submitting a virus to CPABC, overloading, “flooding”, “spamming”, “mailbombing”, “crashing” etc.;
- using another User’s account or information without prior authorization from CPABC;
- creating a false identity on the Site;
- transmitting any information through an unsolicited mass email;
- collecting information about others, including email/mail addresses, names, social media account information (including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn) and phone numbers, except for the sole stated purposed provided by CPABC;
- registering an email address for which the User does not have permission of the owner to register. Violations of system or network security may result in civil or criminal liability. CPABC will investigate occurrences, which may involve violations to the above terms and conditions and may involve law enforcement authorities in prosecuting Users involved in such violations.
Acceptable use of the Sites includes: posting Content for the stated purposes while ensuring that all Content:
- is complete, accurate and represents the User’s own resume and job application materials;
- does not represent any multi-level marketing opportunity, membership, distributorship or business opportunity which requires the recruitment of other members or sub-agents;
- is added or deleted only with the consent of the User;
- is not unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, hateful or otherwise undesirable by another User, group or community;
- does not infringe or violate a third party’s copyright, trade mark, privacy or proprietary right that would violate any applicable law; and,
is free of commercial or other advertisements intended to solicit business from Recruiters or Employers using the Site, including solicitation by any competitors of Recruiters or Employers who post on the Sites.
Additional prohibited uses include:
- posting jobs for modeling, talent or talent scouting positions;
- posting information that is copyrighted without the permission of the copyright owner; and
- posting material that is sexually-explicit.
By using the Site, Users agree that they are solely responsible for actions and communications undertaken in the course of the Site’s usage and will abide by all laws that apply or may apply to a User’s activities on the Site. CPABC will investigate occurrences which may involve violations to the above terms and conditions and may involve law enforcement authorities in prosecuting Users involved in such violations.
CPABC does not guarantee the truthfulness, accuracy or reliability of communications posted by Users or endorse any opinions expressed by Users. CPABC thereby has no obligation to screen communications but will investigate any allegation presented where Terms and Conditions may be violated. CPABC reserves the right to prohibit use of the Site by any User who has violated the Terms and Conditions.
By submitting Content to any area of the Site, Users grant CPABC the non-exclusive right and license to use, reproduce, modify, publish, translate, distribute, communicate or display the Content without any royalties or payment granted the User. By posting Content, the User completely and effectively waives all such rights.
License of Use for Job Seekers
CPABC offers a limited and non-exclusive right to use the Site in seeking employment opportunities for personal purposes and cannot be used for commercial purposes including sourcing job postings for use by other websites, social media sites, blogs/microblogs, Recruiters or any third party, without the written consent of CPABC. This includes job postings where an Employer or Recruiter has paid to post a career opportunity and does not include other Site Content including articles and workplace resources. Any User in violation of these Terms may have their use suspended or terminated at the sole discretion of CPABC. Violations of system or network security may result in civil or criminal liability. CPABC will investigate occurrences which may involve violations to the above terms and conditions and may involve law enforcement authorities in prosecuting Users involved in such violations.
License of Use by Employers and Recruiters
CPABC offers a limited and non-exclusive right to use the Site only for the User’s internal business use seeking Candidates for employment, as well as using the Content for Company learning and development. The User is not allowed to transfer access to the Site, Content or Candidates to any third party without written authorization of CPABC. The User is also not allowed to access the personal information of Candidates except for contacting them in regards to employment opportunities. This includes using any contact or account information found for commercial use including email, mail, social media and related activities. Any User in violation of these Terms may have their use suspended or terminated at the sole discretion of CPABC. Violations of system or network security may result in civil or criminal liability. CPABC will investigate occurrences which may involve violations to the above terms and conditions and may involve law enforcement authorities in prosecuting Users involved in such violations.
DISCLAIMERS, LIABILITY EXCLUSIONS/LIMITATIONS, AND INDEMNITY
CPABC offers a vehicle for Employers and Recruiters to post job positions and Candidates to post profiles/resumes, and does not screen or censor the listings offered. CPABC maintains a third party status and does not get involved in the actual transaction between Candidate and Employer or Recruiter. CPABC has no control over the authenticity or legality of communications and Users need to be prepared to face risks associated with the Site which may include, but are not limited to the risk of (i) physical harm, (ii) dealing with persons without the proper work permit or age requirement, or (iii) dealing with persons acting under false pretenses or claiming to be someone else. The User accepts all risks associated in using the Site and are urged to cautiously engage in contact established with other Users of the Site. Content may contain inaccuracies or typographical errors. CPABC does not claim that all Content submitted is accurate, reliable, complete or timely. CPABC is not to be considered an Employer and is not responsible for any employment or hiring decisions made by an Employer or Recruiter posting jobs on the Site.
THERE IS NO GUARANTEE THAT PERSONAL INFORMATION AND TRANSACTIONS ON THE SITE OR ON THE INTERNET WILL BE MAINTAINED CONFIDENTIAL AND SECURE. THE USE OF THE SITE AND THE CONTENT IS AT THE USER’S OWN RISK AND CPABC ASSUMES NO LIABILITY OR RESPONSIBILITY PERTAINING TO THE CONTENT, THE USER’S USE OF THE SITE OR THE RECEIPT, STORAGE, TRANSMISSION OR OTHER USE OF THE USER’S PERSONAL INFORMATION.
Users accept the risk that the Site may not operate error-free nor that the Site and its server are free of computer viruses. CPABC assumes no liability for the servicing or replacing of equipment or data. The Site is provided ‘as is’ without any kind of representations, warranties, guarantees, or conditions, of any kind whether express or implied, statutory or otherwise, including, but not limited to, warranties as to uninterrupted or error-free operation, availability, accuracy, completeness, currentness, reliability, timeliness, legality, suitability, privacy, security, merchantability, or fitness for a particular purpose.
IN NO EVENT WILL CPABC, OR ITS AFFILIATES, DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, OR EMPLOYEES BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, PUNITIVE, EXEMPLARY, AGGRAVATED, ECONOMIC OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES HOWSOEVER CAUSED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF USE, LOST PROFITS, OR LOST SAVINGS; EVEN IF CPABC OR ANY OF ITS LAWFUL AGENTS OR EMPLOYEES HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES OR CLAIM.
IN NO EVENT WILL CPABC, ITS AFFILIATES, AGENTS, LICENSORS, SUPPLIERS, OR THEIR RESPECTIVE DIRECTORS, OFFICERS OR EMPLOYEES, BE LIABLE FOR DAMAGES OR LOSSES RESULTING FROM: VIRUSES, DATA CORRUPTION, FAILED MESSAGES, TRANSMISSION ERRORS OR PROBLEMS; TELECOMMUNICATIONS SERVICE PROVIDERS; LINKS TO THIRD-PARTY WEB SITES; THE INTERNET BACKBONE; PERSONAL INJURY; THIRD-PARTY CONTENT, PRODUCTS OR SERVICES; DAMAGES OR LOSSES CAUSED BY THE USER, OR THE USER’S RESPECTIVE EMPLOYEES, AGENTS OR SUBCONTRACTORS; LOSS OF USE OR LACK OF AVAILABILITY OF FACILITIES INCLUDING COMPUTER RESOURCES, ROUTERS AND STORED DATA; THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE SITE OR THE CONTENT; ANY OTHER WEB SITE ACCESSED TO OR FROM THE SITE; OR EVENTS BEYOND THE REASONABLE CONTROL OF CPABC, EVEN IF CPABC OR ANY OF ITS LAWFUL AGENTS, OR EMPLOYEES HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES OR CLAIM.
Upon breach of these Terms and Conditions, CPABC reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to delete the User’s postings and communication from the Site and terminate the User’s registration and ability to access the Site.
The User agrees to defend and hold harmless CPABC, OR ITS AFFILIATES, DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, OR EMPLOYEES, from any claims, actions or demands, alleging or resulting from the use or the misuse of the Site, the Content or as the result of a breach of the Terms and Conditions.
CPABC shall notify the User immediately if there is a claim or suit resulting from the above.
This Agreement will be governed by the laws of the Province of British Columbia and the federal laws of Canada and shall be treated in all respects as a British Columbia contract, without reference to the principles of conflicts of law. In the event of a dispute, Users agree to submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the British Columbia courts.